Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sierra, age 10



Wow... 10!  I can't believe our oldest is in double digits!! What's more, she's in middle school... in 5th grade!! At least in our school district. When I was a kid, there was no such thing as 'middle school.' It was jr. high, and it was for 7th & 8th graders. Now, my 10 year old has an 8 period school day - I'm talkin' running to her locker to switch out books in between changing classes kind of school day! Did I mention she's 10? And don't even get me started on her math! She's doing math I did in jr. high - the jr. high that was for 7th & 8th graders! Now-a-days, kids are are being pushed harder & earlier. Not that it's entirely bad - kids do  need to be challenged - but sometimes, I wish she was still in the typical one class-one teacher environment. That's probably the 'mommy not wanting her kids to not grow up' coming out :). Sierra loves middle school, the different teachers, the bus ride, and the math homework. Well... NOT the homework part, just seeing if you were paying attention!



Sierra is fortunate to be in a school where they believe in the benefits of music. She is playing the clarinet in the school band. When my family came to visit last summer, Sierra tried out their clarinet & really seemed to catch on quickly. She continues to 'catch on,' and plays quite well for a beginner! She likes to give mini concerts at home for us, playing her favorite songs.


Among Sierra's favorite activities is volleyball. This past fall was her 2nd year playing, and it's amazing to see how she grew in skills and confidence! Her team won a total of 3 medals - one 2nd place & two 1st place!! She was over-the-moon excited! All the girls played strong - even though those tournaments lasted as long as 7 hours! Robert & I aren't sports fans, but we sure got into it & enjoyed cheering her on!!


Sierra is an awesome kid - or, should I say, young lady. She's so kind, caring, and aware of those around her. She has such a heart for Jesus, and she never ceases to amaze me! Sierra enjoys reading her *pink & sparkle-y* Bible, and it melts me to see her reading it on her own. August 19, 2007, she turned her life over to Christ, being baptized in Him, and we are so proud to see her faith grow more & more.

She's also liking to read Nancy Drew books. She's been enjoying the old Nancy Drew series on DVD, too. And, of course, the Nancy Drew computer games! She's taking after her mom (& grandma!) when it comes to enjoying a good mystery! :)

As I've mentioned before, she still loves to dress up. Dress up for her now consists of 'real' high heels, dangly earrings, and make-up. Oh! - can't forget the long nails!  She is the girliest girl I know, and I am so super blessed to be her mom.


2 comments:

moejolarry said...

Love this post about Sierra ~ I'm a proud great/Auntie (sniff) I love how you grouped the photos together & especially the lighting effect with the one Sierra doing homework.

DAD CLUCKER said...

A GREAT POST ABOUT MY 1ST BORN GRANDDAUGHTER AND YOU KNOW I CAN'T TAKE ALL THE CREDIT HA HA. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL YOUNG LADY SIERRA IS GROWING INTO A HEART FOR JESUS YES VERY SENSITIVE KEEP WALKING IN HIS LIGHT!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...